The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) has recently announced changes to its syllabus for the Company Secretary (CS) professional course. The revised syllabus will be implemented from the December 2021 session.
One of the major changes in the new syllabus is the;
• inclusion of a subject on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) matters.
•This reflects the increasing importance of sustainability and responsible corporate practices in the business world.
•The syllabus also includes updated content on emerging areas such as fintech, start-ups, and insolvency and bankruptcy.
Another significant change is the revision of the pedagogy for the foundation program.
•The ICSI has introduced a competency-based approach for the foundation program,
•which aims to develop the necessary skills and knowledge required for a successful career as a company secretary.
• The competency-based approach will include case studies, group discussions, and interactive sessions to enhance the learning experience of students.
The ICSI has also made changes to the structure of the professional program.
• The program will now have eight papers, down from the previous nine.
• The ICSI has also introduced a new subject, “Corporate Restructuring, Valuation, and Insolvency,” to the professional program to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of these important concepts.
Overall, the revised syllabus for the CS professional course aims to keep pace with the;
• changing business environment and provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in their careers.
•The competency-based approach and the inclusion of subjects on emerging areas such as ESG and fintech will provide students with a well-rounded education and prepare them for the challenges of the modern business world.